Sunday, April 5, 2009

My Experiments with Animation

I got interested in animation (using photographs), after seeing the fantastic animation gallery of Mr Ernst Shutz ( You can see it at http://www.pbase.com/es839145/root.) He has hundreds of pictures and animations and more than 2 million people have already visited his gallery!
However, I wanted to try something slightly different and chose blooming of flowers. My first attempt can be seen in my blog alongside. The problem with shooting such pictures is that it takes a long time for the flower to fully blossom, there are movements of the stems and the flowers during the process which spoil the effect, not to speak of the changing light conditions. Not long after my first pic, I had the rare chance to shoot another challenging picture, that of the the flowering of rain lily in our backyard. The whole process took almost 5 hours and there were light showers in between, forcing me to remove the camera and repositioning it (more or less) at the same location, which was the toughest part. The result, though nothing much to write home about, can be seen above. I sent it to Mr Shutz telling him how he had inspired me, and despite the large number of mails which he must be receiving, he was kind enough to reply as follows:
Hi,
thank you so much for sharing your result of an amimated wild flower. You are really good on that and you are on the good path to do even better. I still have to do a similar thing - I planned to do an animated flower but I found no suitable day with a bit of a steady light for several hours and absence of wind. I will keep in touch and also share my animations.

Greetings
Ernst Schütz - Switzerland

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just caught up with your recent postings. Good reading and brilliant photography. I am no expert on photography, but can recognise a beauty. Liked the two posts on Andaman, for both the photographs and also my own love for nature. True, night sky is a luxury these days. Happy blogging...